Monday, May 4, 2009

Why I Will Rent Wolverine

I like a good comic book adapted for film movie as much as the next guy. Ok, maybe not as much as the next guy because a lot of people went to see Wolverine this weekend. Yglesias sums up pretty well why Wolverine will go in my Netflix queue, but I won't be spending the 10 bucks it would take to see it at the movies.
Wolverine isn’t a character whose origins we’re curious about. Wolverine is a character whose origin is that he has no memories and we don’t know where he’s from other than that at some point he was mixed up with a shady covert ops program that bonded adamantium to his skeleton. That’s the origin. That’s the character.

2 comments:

Adam C. said...

For the same price monthly, I can see approximately 75 movies daily on my HBO package, plus sports, comedy, and documentary specials. Only yuppies (shut up, Adam), teenagers of yuppies and parents with younger kids make room for the movies these days. Please don't grow up, Jonas.

One final note: Is anyone still impressed with movies that break the box office records for weekend profits? That's what happens when ticket prices jump $3-4 in five/ten years. It's like the Big East having a record number of teams in the NCAA Tounry.... There are 20 teams in the conference for crying out loud, chances are it'll boast a few more teams than other conferences.

Not impressed.

Adam said...

As I write this the movies on HBO are...

1. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
2. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
3. Mr. Baseball

Waste of money.