Monday, July 20, 2009

Stop The Stupid (fantasy football edition)

I'm currently a kinda-sorta co-owner in a fantasy football league. There are some good owners in the league, but the bad ones are the kinda bad that you hope and pray sign up for you money league. A quick example....

Twice, I have seen owners draft a wide receiver as a handcuff.

I get the whole handcuff idea. I have used it in the past and will use it in the future. I, however, use it very rarely. I'm not going to select a player two or three rounds early simply so I can stash him away on my roster and hope that the starter gets injured and then pray that the offense doesn't totally change. I only handcuff running backs though and only if I have a late round pick to blow or if I pick a guy like LT where there is a clear quality back-up in place.

Drafting a wide receiver as a handcuff is stupid. I won't go into all the reasons, but simply point out that as a running back you don't have to get open to receive a hand-off.

No comments: