Friday, November 21, 2008

Ohio State Football

I think everybody can pretty much agree that this season has been a bit of a disappointment for the Buckeyes. While the finger pointing has calmed down a bit over the last couple of weeks I thought I would offer my two cents.

Much of the finger pointing seems to go towards the offense with the two main victims being Jim Tressel's play calling and a under performing offensive line. I think some of the criticism of Tressel's play calling is unwarranted and a lot of it has to do with people wanting a bigger show on the field offensively. They aren't going to get it, at least not on a consistent basis and even if Tressel hands over the playing calling duties (which I think he should). I would love to see the Buckeyes use the tight end more, run more crossing routes and do more play action. However, I think if you look back over the losses from the past couple of years you would have a hard time making the case that the play calling was to blame for the loss.

The biggest problem for me is the offensive line. A better performance from the offensive line and there would be a more aggressive approach to the Buckeyes offense. Most of the big plays on offense come from Chris Wells breaking contact at the line of scrimmage and from Terrelle Pryor making things happen on his own. The bottom line is that the offensive line just isn't good enough for the Buckeys to be an elite team.

One other thing that I think gets overlooked when the criticism of the Ohio State offense states flying is the lack of a true playmaker on the perimeter. Not to knock Robiskie and Hartline, but in order for Ohio State to reach that elite status they need a serious upgrade at wide receiver. Neither Robiskie or Harline are the type of wide receivers that you specifically game plan to get the ball in their hands. Until the Buckeye's are able to change that, not even a good offensive line will be able to bring home a NC.

No comments: