Monday, November 10, 2008

Project Gutenberg

I'm just not sold that ebooks are going to change the publishing industry like mp3s changed the music industry. A number of people smarter than me disagree.

A survey published in conjunction with the Frankfurt Book Fair last month showed
that 40 percent of book publishing professionals thought digital sales would
surpass sales of paper-and-ink books by 2018.


There is no doubt that the digital world has dealt a financial blow to the print world. I certainly spend more time reading the online versions of magazines and newspapers over the dead tree versions. I just don't see the reshaping of how the industry is forced to do business, especially when one of the leading platforms for ebooks (Kindle) is $359.

I will say that Project Gutenberg is a pretty cool site.

No comments: