Friday, December 5, 2008

Once and Overnight Music

I'm combining two posts here. I can do that because it is my blog and with few readers there aren't enough of you to shame me for my laziness.

I have a confession to make. I like musicals. I find myself at times humming With a Little Bit of Luck and Get Me To The Church On Time. I also think that Cabaret is one of the greatest musicals of all time. I do not, however, enjoy any musical made into movie silliness. I actually hate every last one, even my beloved Cabaret.

It was a couple of years ago that a friend and I were discussing super powers and if we could pick one that was completely off the wall (flying and x-ray vision need not apply) what would we pick. The power of musical dance ended up being pretty high on our list of powers wanted. Now while I think having such a power would be pretty damned cool (think of how much more fun waiting in line at the bank would be) it is a super power that simply doesn't translate well to film. In fact, it downright sucks and ruins things like Cabaret and My Fair Lady. I don't know why it works in the theater, it just does, and don't argue with me and say it work with Mary Poppins or any other musical, it doesn't.

With that out of the way, you really should rent or buy Once. Once is the story of a down-on-his-luck and disgruntled (is there any other kinda?) musician who meets another musician. If you haven't noticed I'm not that great at breaking down story lines. Anyway, what Once is able to do, that the film versions of Cabaret, My Fair Lady and all other movie musicals are unable to do is to meld music into film in a believable way. There is no power of musical dance here, no places where all of a sudden everybody breaks into song and dance while waiting in line or eating their dinner. Once is strange combination of good music and a good movie finding a common ground where they can co-exist without feeling forced.

The trailer.


The music.

No comments: