Friday, March 20, 2009

Twitter is for high schoolers

I have long resisted most of the social networking tools. Myspace always seemed to high schoolish to me. I joined recently, because I read it was a great way to drum up readers for blogs. It hasn't worked, but everyday I get invites from 16-year old kids to check out their page. After I recover from the seizure that their page usually gives me due to all the flashy gadgets and what not on it I'm usually left wondering why I ever joined. Same with facebook, which I haven't checked in months.

I'm drawing the line at Twitter. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of it is. I read somewhere that over 300k where following Shaq's Twitter account. Why? I read a lot of blog and a number of them are Twittering. National journalists are even doing it and so are several Senators and Congressmen. One Twitter episode reaffirmed my believe that Twitter really is for high school kids. The quick run-down.

Jake Tapper tweeted (is that the correct term) about Obama's Special Olympics comment from Leno. Actually, Tapper tweeted about it three different times. This is/was, afterall, big important news. Tapper got some mocking from a couple of bloggers. Remember, the meme from the media of late is that Obama shouldn't be doing anything but sitting in a room and thinking really really hard about how to fix the economy and nothing else. Well Tapper didn't like the mocking so he blocked the blogs from reading his Twitter account. Several years ago I coached a team of middle school girls. It reminding me of some of the stupid immature shit I had to deal with them.

Stop Twittering people.

No comments: